10.05.2011

Let's Get Literary October

Howdy.
For those who don't know me, I love to read.  Always have.  Especially when I was younger and had all the time in the world and no bills to pay.  I blame my extensive vocabulary on my early reading obsession (that and musicals...no, seriously).  Once I was in college I found less and less time to read what I wanted, having instead to read class material that was not always my favorite.  So I have been compiling a list of books that I want to read "when I get the time."

Welp, it would seem that now is the time.  Some of these books are recommendations from trusted friends, some are from reading lists, some are classics that I don't really WANT to read but feel I NEED to.  So this month is my attempt at scratching some of those books off.

How is this entertaining to you, you ask?
Well, besides writing reviews once I'm finished, I'll be doing little projects that correlate to what I'm reading.  Maybe while reading M. Butterfly I'll do a little tutorial on geisha make-up.  Or try some traditional Irish recipes while reading James Joyce.  The possibilities are endless!

For today I leave you with some of my absolute favorite books, as well as some links to free books online so everyone can get in on the action!

Favorites


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith


Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides


God-Shaped Hole - Tiffany Debartolo




One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez


The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien

Online Sources

The websites all offer free books to read on your computer.  A lot of them are classics, but there are some surprises!

Project Gutenberg
Many Books
Feed Books
LibriVox (free audio files of books read by volunteers!)

Also, did you know you can download a free program from Amazon to your computer, mobile phone, or other device?  All you need is an Amazon account (just for the website).

Go to this link and download the correct program for your device.  Then, browse through the tons of books Amazon has for Kindle - many of them free!

Happy Reading!
Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment